AIMS AND ASPIRATIONS FOR 2018

January 09, 2018

I can scarcely believe that we are just over a week into 2018, and I'm only managing to get my first post of the year out now. I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been the best start to the year, and the usual negative contributions to my life have managed to take over again. But fear not! I'm back - I feel motivated, refreshed and ready to kick 2018 right in the ass. 

I know a lot of people scoff at those of us who set ourselves goals throughout the year, (I know because I used to be one of those scoffing people), but over the years I've really loved setting myself "resolutions." They give me something to strive for, something to better myself for and something to focus on when I feel like I can't continue on. I wasn't too successful in reaching some of my goals from last year, but this year I feel more determined than ever to strive towards what I hope to achieve.

And on that slightly cheesier note, what better way to kick off a (hopefully) fantastic year of blogging than with a good old fashioned "Here's what I hope to achieve this year, but if I don't manage it this post will haunt me for the next twelve months" post about my aims and aspirations for 2018!



GRADUATE

Graduating from university with a good qualification is definitely the biggest aspiration on my 2018 agenda. My degree means a lot to me, and I've had such a fantastic time over the last three years studying a subject I adore, and proving to myself that I am much more capable of excelling than I ever believed I could be. As much as I'll feel upset about letting go of the routine of studying, studying and reading a little bit here and there, here's hoping that my hard work pays off and I get a qualification I'm proud of (and maybe go on to return for an MA!). All that stands in my way is a dissertation, my indecisiveness and my lazy, procrastinating brain. But I'm working on those too, I promise. 


START BEING SPONTANEOUS

My anxiety played a really awful part in who I became in 2017, and who I'm trying to become in 2018. I don't have too many happy memories of the last twelve months, mainly because I didn't get out a lot to make them. Even with issues of mental health, in the past I still managed to push myself here and there to enjoy my life. I miss feeling vibrant and lively, and exuberantly agreeing to go places with friends and family. In 2018, I'm determined to be more spontaneous. Say "yes" to trips away with my friends and boyfriend. Embrace every opportunity that comes my way, be it involving my blog, my career or my personal well-being. I want to push myself to explore, thrive and improve on every positive aspect I have in my life. I'm a Sagittarius for Christ's sake - it's time to welcome my free-spirited, spontaneous side!



RECONNECT

Speaking of my internal hermit, I've missed out on reconnecting with a lot of friends because of my anxiety over going out and doing things I used to enjoy once upon a time. I left 2017 feeling isolated and a little bit lonely. Asides from my family, my boyfriend and my uni friends, I barely met up with the people I love and care about over the festive period. As I get older, I'm beginning to realise how difficult it is to hold onto friendships, even in a society where we all remain connected through social media, memes and pictures. It's just not the same as lazing about with your pals watching Twilight and downing your glass of rose every time Edward looks moody, and it's definitely not as fun doing it by yourself (its for university purposes, I swear.) This year I'm making a promise to myself and those around me, yes a direct address to all of you at home reading this, that we will reconnect. No more saying "we'll have to see each other!" Yes, we will see each other, even if it takes months. 


TAKE YOUR PASSIONS SERIOUSLY

I love to blog. I love creating content that I put my everything into, and I love the process of planning, photography, editing, writing, hitting that "publish" button and then promoting the shit out of my content until it feels like I've flogged a dead horse. Last year was the year of taking myself to the next level, and this year I'm going to start taking my passion more seriously. I'm saving up for a total blog makeover - from my own domain, to a shiny new theme, header, media kit and photography equipment. My passion for writing is only half of it, and I need to start branching out and improving other areas of my blog too. I'm also going to focus on creating more original content, and delving further into the genres I love but never get to showcase too often, including fashion, literature and more general chit-chat. I no longer want to look at other bloggers and say "wow, I wish I was doing that," I am going to do it. I know it's going to take a little bit of time, money and dedication, but once my exams are out of the way, that's where my focus will lie. A girl's got to have a back-up plan, right?


LEARN TO FUCKING DRIVE

Yes, I am 21 and cannot drive. I don't even have a provisional licence. I sincerely believe when every teenager I know caught the driving bug on their 17th birthday I was wearing my bugspray. Sometimes I do wish I were a little more independent, and didn't have to rely on the generosity of the father and boyfriend, or waste so much money on public transport. But the truth is, I've just never had the desire to drive, and I've had the form to apply for my provisional licence tucked away in my underwear drawer for years. I only hope that this year, I can latch on the the impulse to learn for longer than two days and end 2018 with my own little car covered in R-plates.



EXPAND ON BEING CRUELTY-FREE

In 2017 I switched pretty much everything I could to a cruelty-free alternative; from make-up to household products, and eating veggie when I could as often as I could, and this year I want to make as many environmentally friendly and conscious choices as I can. I would love to go full vegetarian and learn how to cook for myself, buy from more eco-friendly brands and companies, including ones based locally, and give more though to how I recycle, to help reduce my environmental impact and generally feel better about myself. Social media has been a fantastic educational tool, and I want to say a huge thank you to all of you out there who strive to provide correct information for all of us looking to branch out into a plant-based, eco-friendly lifestyle.

TAKE YOUR TIME

Beth recently wrote an absolutely cracking post on the millennial obsession with constantly being busy, and it's so relatable it hurts. I wholeheartedly confess that I am the laziest person to exist ever, and I rarely ever manage to make it to the end of my daily list of "stuff I would ideally like the get done, but deep down I know I will not accomplish until at least a fortnight's time." It sucks, and it's led to me feeling defeated and struggling to regain my motivation to do anything. My schedule leaves me exhausted, and I become trapped in a cycle of eat, sleep, study, blog, procrastinate and repeat. Therefore, this year I feel like I have earned the right to take my time with everything. I want to make everything I do feel worthwhile, and dedicate my full time and attention to it, when I have the time and attention to dedicate to it. No more half-arsed attempts at doing anything, just to feel like I'm doing something. If that means I don't produce a new post about the New Year until we're nine days into it, that's fine. If it means that I don't manage to get my flat looking like Kim and Aggie have been round, that's fine. If I fall a little bit behind on my notes that's fine (as long as I do dedicate the time to catch up on them instead of cramming like the clappers to get everything looking neat and tidy before my exams). We all need time to breathe because it means we'll be able to work as hard as we can on what matters instead of feeling burnt out, fed up and absolutely shit. 


What are your aims for 2018? If we fast-forward to December, what would you liked to have achieved this year?

I truly wish each and every one of you a wonderful 2018. Thank you for sticking with me, and I hope you'll stick around for the next twelve months!

Until next time, 

Rachel x

You Might Also Like

26 comments

  1. Great post lovely! I definitely agree with going cruelty free and it's something I really want to work on this year and step away from the brands that test on animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karina! Have you checked out Cruelty Free Kitty? They're constantly updating their list of cruelty-free brands and I've found it so helpful in trying to find new brands who don't test on animals! x

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachel! What a wonderful and incredibly honest post! I really hope you achieve all of your goals this year. My goals are to focus on blogging (I’ve only just begun), get a job and concentrate on self care which I’ve ignored for a long time x

    -Soffy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Soffy! Best of luck with blogging and remember that taking care of yourself should come before everything else- don't let yourself burn out! xx

      Delete
  3. You have great aims for this year!!
    Honestly, enjoy your last bit of uni (and try not to procrastinate) IT WILL GO SO QUICK. I graduated in 2014 and time is still just flying on by!
    I definitely agree with being more spontaneous and taking my passions seriously!

    Completely agree with setting goals so you have something to focus on and strive for! I just think if I don't set myself goals - what am I going to achieve? This year I want to ensure I reassess my goals on a monthly basis at least!

    Hayley | hayleyxmartin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley! I'm torn between feeling excited and absolutely petrified, it's all a bit surreal. I totally agree, and reassessing is a good way to add to your list of goals! x

      Delete
  4. I much prefer goals like these that are things to work on over the year than rigid rules. The being more spontaneous one is definitely something I'm going to try and focus on in 2018 too, all of my favourite bits of 2017 are things where I pushed the boundaries of my comfort zone and I want more of that this year. Good luck with all of your goals for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bronia! I feel the same, I enjoy having more emotional, personal goals instead of unyielding goals revolving around numbers and things that don't really matter. Here's hoping that we can both push ourselves a little more x

      Delete
  5. Love these! I'm sure you're going to graduate :) learning to drive is a big one for me this year, it's going to create so much freedom. Good luck with all your goals!

    Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jordanne! I'm glad I'm not alone in not knowing how to drive haha x

      Delete
  6. Being more spontaneous is one of my goals too! And yay to more cruelty free stuff, that's great to hear <3
    Alys
    https://alysjournals.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! Our goals are to focus on blogging, and maybe visit one new place per month. :)

    https://tiateilli.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and good luck with your goals! x

      Delete
  8. Being more spontanous (and actually leaving the house) and taking this 'blogging business' a tiny-winy little bit more seriously are also on my list! I think it's good to aim for something throughout the year and it can get you really motivated! I'm actually really looking forward to 2018 (yes, I know, the first week has already vanished but somehow my brain is convinced that 'this isn't really the beginning yet'. Yes, I'm also a procrastinator....). ;)

    Good luck with your resolutions! You can do this!

    Love,
    Dominique

    www.fashionedbypluche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dominique, and best of luck with your goals too! x

      Delete
  9. good luck for your goals this year, I'm hoping to learn to drive too as i'm turning 21 this year and still can't drive aha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryony, and good luck! We can do it x

      Delete
  10. Love this! Good luck with all your goals! :) x

    thatcreativegenius.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading this, your posts are so well written. Good luck with your goals and happy New year Too, I hope it's amazing for you:)

    Kate | http://www.katelovesx.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been trying to work on going cruelty-free with my makeup choices also. Your goals are great good luck with them all for 2018 :)

    Sophie
    abeautifulride.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt the same and felt quite lonely towards the end of 2017 because I was always so busy I never had time to make plans with my friends, staying connected with my friends is something I want to achieve in 2018! also CONGRATS on Graduating that is amazing x x
    https://sharnahsblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck love, I know we can do it! and thank you so much x

      Delete