ADDING TO MY BOOKSHELF*

April 03, 2018

I, along with what appears to be the majority of young, adult women, made a resolution to read more books this year. However rather than start to read through the numerous piles of unread novels occupying space in my room, I cannot control my urges to set off and buy myself more book. I think it's time to admit that I am addicted to buying and not reading books. Now that every spare moment of my time has to be occupied with reading and researching around my dissertation topic, I don't really have a lot of spare time to read for pleasure. But that hasn't stopped me adding to my bookshelf over the last few weeks and today I wanted to share with you a haul of books, some of which are read and some of which unread that I couldn't help but add to my collection. 


* This post features a book that I was sent to review. I received no payment for this review and all opinions are my own. 


MINDFULNESS BOOKS:



THE STRENGTHS BOOK - SALLY BIBB*


I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of Sally Bibb's The Strengths Book* before the beginning of my current semester of university. My exams had really knocked me for six and I was started to feel the pressure of holding myself to a certain standard, and being unable to meet my own expectations. In this book, Sally helps readers identify their strengths in all areas of life, from relationships to the workplace, with practical tips and advice on how to be your truest, happiest and most-fulfilled self. With this book I've learned that instead of focusing on my weaknesses and allowing them to dictate my behaviour, I should allow my strengths to energise how I feel about myself and those around me. The Strengths Book has been my lifeline over the last number of weeks, and it has barely left my bedside table because of how motivated and enthused I feel after I read it. Its powerful, emotional and at a time where certain chapters of my life are on their last pages, it has reminded me that there are many more chapters that have yet to be written. I control their words and the meaning of them. 


THE LITTLE BOOK OF HYGGE - MEIK WIKING


I'm sure by now every blogger and their dog has told you about how great The Little Book of Hygge is. And they're right! However, in case you've been living under a rock for the last year or so, let me fill you in. There's no English word equivalent for hygge, instead the Danish translation encapsulates feelings of comfort, peace and happiness. Think about the place you feel most warm and content, and begin to embody how that feels in your everyday life - that's hygge. This book about living well really teaches readers how to appreciate the little nuggets of happiness we experience in our day to day lives, no matter how insignificant that may be to others. Its full of gorgeous images, tips on how to be more hygge in all areas of life and feel comfortable in yourself. A light, wholesome read for anyone who feels a little lost.


ACADEMIC RECOMMENDATIONS:

JANE AUSTEN: THE SECRET RADICAL - HELENA KELLY


Austen is an author who is both polarising and inescapable. Her literature is embedded into our culture and heritage, and she's perhaps best-known for her ability to create escapist novels which appear to be light, fluffy and devoid of any subversive meaning or political drive. In essence, if you've read one Austen novel, you've read them all. However, in this book Helena Kelly seeks to dispel the so-called "Austen myth" as she dissects each of her six novels. Through the exploration of her personal letters and the real-life people who inspired her most famous characters, she paints a different picture of the Austen we think we know. I don't count myself among the biggest of Austen fans, but I could not put this book down. I loved how in-depth and exciting every chapter was, and it completely took me by surprise that I had missed all of these subtle nuances in Austen's novels. For anyone who thinks they know the most famous female writer in literature.



I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS - MAYA ANGELOU


After being on my Must-Have list for what felt like forever, Father Christmas granted my festive wish and gave me this wonderful book for Christmas. I read it as a dissertation back-up novel, and I fell more in love with it than I thought I would. An autobiographical truth about the reality of living as a poor, woman of colour in the South during a period of racial tension, Angelou presents the most horrific of experiences in such an emotive way, you truly feel every word she writes. I learned so much from reading this, and it felt like the author was right beside me the entire way through the novel, as if we were speaking together as friends. This is another book that I couldn't put down and it definitely gave me the inspiration I needed for my dissertation. 

AMERICANAH - CHIMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE

Last year, I took a module in Contemporary World Literature, and despite this novel not being part of the required reading list my lecturer recommended it to all of us. I'm not usually one for reading too far outside of the module, but I really enjoyed it and for some reason the description of this novel stuck with me. So I popped it on my Christmas list, and again Santa delivered. Adichie tells the story of a young, Nigerian woman who emigrates to the United States and the hardships she faces, as it threads the narrative between her life at home and her life in America. It reflects on-going global and personal tensions that many immigrants and people of colour continue to face today, and again has been a great background novel for my dissertation. Its raw, educational and tells the story that thousands have experienced, but that not everyone gets to tell. 



EVERYTHING IN-BETWEEN:

HOW TO STOP TIME - MATT HAIG

I absolutely adore Matt Haig, and his infamous "Reasons to Stay Alive" has been a staple on my bookshelf since its publication. When I heard he was releasing another novel, I knew I had to pick it up. How to Stop Time is a Benjamin Button-esque novel that blurs fantasy and sci-fi in one emotional story. I haven't managed to get a chance to read this one yet, but as soon as university is out of the way I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this!



THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE - SHIRLEY JACKSON

I've grown to love Gothic literature over the years, and there's nothing better than lying in bed with a good scary book. This widely-adapted novel plays on the readers emotional investment in the characters and their relationships to terrorise and surprise. It makes us question the barrier between reality, fiction and perception and truly sends shivers down the spine. 


THE LESSER BOHEMIANS - EIMEAR MCBRIDE

Eimear McBride is a shining star of contemporary Irish literature, and The Lesser Bohemians is a novel with a lot of buzz surrounding it. I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but the novel promises to be another emotional rollercoaster. Set in London in the 90s, it tells the story of a teenager's relationship with an older man haunted by his demons, as their passions threaten to consume them. 



What have you added to your bookshelf recently? Have you read anything on this list?

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed and found yourself some new reading material!

Until next time, 

Rachel x

You Might Also Like

28 comments

  1. I really love this post idea! I'm definitely adding your blog to my list that I follow regularly:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good pile of books for me to add to my tbr pile. I'm a sucker for a good cover and all of these covers are so pretty. I read Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimanda Ngozi Adichie for one of my lit classes at school and I really liked her writing style. I'll have to pick up Americanah, it sounds pretty interesting.

    Megan xx insidemegansmind.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I've heard a lot about Half of a Yellow Sun, so I'll definitely have to add it to my reading pile x

      Delete
  3. i will definitely give some of these a read :) i loved Girl Online by Zoe Sugg and Looking For Alaska by John Green (typical i know aha) - the book i am currently reading is 'Please, Let me go' - i love it :) - https://t.co/uNN7mo6IbG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I have to say I haven't read any of those books, they aren't really my kind of thing! I'm glad you enjoyed them x

      Delete
  4. These are some great boks, I wanted to get the HYGGE book and now I must get it definetly. I love my fiction books and still got some to read but I HYGGE gotta be in my book shelf.Lea, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually haven’t read anything yet by Matt Haig, but I’ve wanted to pick up basically everything by him for so long - I may need to place an Amazon order.. 😍

    Andi | www.andthenzen.co.uk ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should check out his work Andi! He's also recently reprinted a lot of his earlier work from his 20s, so I can't wait to read them! x

      Delete
  6. Buying books is one of my most favourite things to do. I have a massive bookshelf and a huge to be read pile sitting next to it waiting for a space! I’ll be checking out some of the books you mentioned, they’re not my usual style but the maya angelou book looks great!

    Love Laura x
    Em-andme.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I'm exactly the same, I have no more room on my shelf or in my usual hiding places, so I'm jealous that you have the space! Although that would probably only encourage me to buy more haha x

      Delete
  7. those look so interesting. I wish I had more time to read. I have so many books on my shelf that I still haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet, hope you manage to find some time to yourself to have a good read! x

      Delete
  8. I'm currently reading Elena Ferante's book series, and loving it! I a haven't read any of the books on your list, but some seem really good so will have to get them. Like you, I can't stop myself from buy books haha

    Perrine
    www.ola-banana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Perrine! I haven't heard of Elena Ferante or any of her books, so I'll definitely have to check them out! x

      Delete
  9. Great post 😀 and I know the feeling, I’ve got so many books that I haven’t read yet, but I end up buying more! I just can’t help myself. I love books! I got How To Stop Time a while back, so I’m looking forward to reading it.
    Clementine x
    http://www.clemloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clementine! I'm glad it's not just me that has a problem haha x

      Delete
  10. These are absolutely great recommendations! I love Jane Austen and Maya Angelou. I'm sure gonna add some of these into my pile. Great post! x Ain (www.captaineverland.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ain! Always happy to find another Angelou lover x

      Delete
  11. Love this post! I’m looking for book recommendations and yours fit perfectly with what I’m interested in. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! Hope you managed to find a few books to fill your shelves with x

      Delete
    2. Thank you Cindy! Hope you managed to find a few books to fill your shelves with x

      Delete
  12. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but all of these ones have such pretty covers! And what interesting plots too. I'll definitely give some of them a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest, I'm a sucker for a pretty cover! I love anything that looks interesting or totally different to what the novel seems to be about! Hope you managed to find something new to read x

      Delete
  13. Great post! The Strengths book sounds amazing, definitely something I’m in need of right now xx

    Andrea | Trxpical Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea! I couldn't recommend it enough, it's fantastic x

      Delete
  14. I am always adding new books to my collection! I have the Hygge book and it is so cute! A lovely little cosy read x

    ReplyDelete