HORMONES, MENTAL HEALTH AND ME

May 17, 2018


I’m not exaggerating when I say that this post has been a long time coming. I’ve had this thought piece swirling around my head for years now, but something has always held me back from sitting down, letting my thoughts take over and pressing publish. Partly because this post is so personal, and for the longest time I felt like I was alone in my experiences, and until I recently discussed this problem with some friends and realised I hadn’t been the only person who encountered difficulties on my mental health journey. The other half of me is absolutely petrified to talk about it. Even as I type these words, my heart is fluttering so hard it feels as though it’s about to burst out of my chest and bleed all over the keyboard.

I don’t know why I feel so afraid to discuss a topic that I’ve been so open about since I began using social media many moons ago. It could be that the prospect of exposing my less than linear mental health in meticulous detail for all to see makes me feel naked, like I’m reopening every healed scar and distressing experience only to relive it once again. Obviously, I am not the same person I was when I first began to transition from a happy, bubbly young teenager to someone who genuinely didn’t believe that they would make it to today. But the memories and experiences that shaped me into who I am, and paved the stones of my recovery still linger fresh in my mind. Of course, I would never want my experiences to trigger someone who is struggling with their own mental health, so I won’t go into too much detail, but this is an issue that I believe needs to be discussed, and there is no better time to publish this post than on Mental Health Awareness Week. So, here goes nothing.



Here’s some context: I first started to experience the emotional side of puberty when I was ten years old. My moods would vary wildly from excitement and childish curiosity, to extreme anger and emotional distress. This is not unusual for a sensitive young child who had experienced a lot of problems and issues that most kids my age had not yet thought about, or been fortunate enough to have happen to them. But as I began to transition into adulthood and experience the wonder of hormones and typical teenage behaviour, I noticed that something was different. Most of my friends could cope with challenging situations in a calm and controlled way, and my only solutions to problems were to cry until I got my own way or explode at those around me. My family, my friends I didn’t care who was in the firing line, but they were going to listen to me. I’m aware that this sounds like typical, problematic teenage behaviour, and that the younger me comes across as a little shit who lacked any discipline or direction. Now that I’m older and I can truly understand the toxic circumstances of my relationships with those around me, and the pressure I felt to continue to mould myself into the perfect, responsible big sister, I know exactly why I behaved like that.


What also separated my emotions and behaviour from my acquaintances that were consistently problematic, was that my outbursts were infrequent and the remorse and regret I felt afterwards was immediate. It made me believe that I was the worst person in the world. I wasn’t worthy of affection, love and support that those around me were providing me. My brain told me that there were people out there who would die for the privileges that I was fortunate enough to have in my life, and if I didn’t feel I was worthy of them I should not even be here. As a result, I began to retract further into the safety of the barriers I placed around myself. On the outside, I was able to disguise how I felt, but it eventually became all too much and I no longer wanted to live.

Until recently, my mother worked as a mental health nurse for over fifteen years. When she recognised the intensity of my mood swings and negative emotions she carted me off to the doctors. I watched as her and my GP had a discussion about my mental health in front of me, without even consulting me to ask how I was feeling. My doctor explained to my mother about hormone imbalances in young women, and as I also had the physical problems of puberty that coincided with what she was saying, my behaviours were diagnosed as a direct result of puberty. My mental health issues were dismissed as typical teenage girl emotions and I was placed on the pill at thirteen years old. Nothing more was said after that. With a little perspective, part of me believes that my mum didn’t want to admit that something more was wrong with me. She worked with people like me every day, from mild cases to the most extreme, and I wholeheartedly believe that she didn’t want the weight of her work carried into her domestic life too. In addition to this, she didn’t exactly have a clean bill of health when it came to her own mental health, and it certainly seemed like she was in denial about the fact I was fast becoming more and more like her every day. As a teenager, I resented her for years for ignoring my feelings and refusing to acknowledge that something more was happening to me. Now I’m older, I understand exactly why she did that. 



As time progressed, the pill helped balance my physical issues. Periods become more bearable, my skin cleared up and my appetite was suppressed, and on the surface, I functioned as regularly as other girls my age. I worked on shedding my image as a bullied, scared girl and blossomed into someone confident, funny and independent. But inside I was fighting a losing battle with myself, and on the outside, I continued to treat those around me like complete shit to reflect how I felt on the inside. I allowed myself to be manipulated by those who had control over me, and this led to me doing the exact same to those I cared about. I hated everything about myself. When I started to educate myself on mental health conditions and recognised the behaviours I exhibited, I realised that something was still wrong with me.

However, those conversations between my mother and my doctor haunted my thoughts and stopped me from speaking out. I didn’t want to be dismissed as a silly little girl who was exaggerating her thoughts and emotions for attention. I’d heard enough of that from kids my own age who mercilessly made me feel terrible about things that I’d done, thus stopping me from getting over the person I used to be. I kept quiet, only confiding in those closest to me and seeking support from strangers on the internet who I could identify with, who I knew wouldn’t judge me. I put them through hell, and even now I will never forgive myself for how I acted, nor for taking so long to speak out.

The catalyst of change came with one phone call from my mother. One of her patients who we both had become extremely close to had committed suicide. She was only 21. She struggled with mental health issues for years, and although it seemed like she was on the road to recovery, she had kept her true emotions hidden from those around her. We held each other and cried, and that was the first time I told my mum exactly how I felt. “I don’t want to that to happen to me.” “I know.” That was the beginning of my recovery process. 


But I’ve been doing it on my own since then, with support from my family, friends, partner and work. However, even now it’s still a taboo subject to talk about, and no one can look me in the eye when I start to express my thoughts and feelings. Even at 21, I am still haunted by the fact that my concerns were dismissed as little more than my hormones acting up, all those years ago. Now, that’s obviously not the case, and this year I promised that I would finally start the diagnosis process with my doctors and get the help I truly need. I took myself off the pill, and I’ve experienced the roughest five months of my life. Extreme depressive slumps, psychotic episodes and hallucinations, memory loss, highs and lows, crippling anxiety that’s left me housebound and afraid to complete even the simplest of tasks – I’ve experienced them all. Yet, I am still being dismissed.

I’m not the only young woman I know who has experienced this utter neglect from the health services and those around me. I know my own mind, and I know exactly what’s wrong with me. But I’ve been told my only option is to go back on the pill and see how the next five months pan out while my hormones rebalance. I don’t want to go through this again, but I don’t have a choice because I am not believed. I’ve been met with scorn, disbelief and abuse every step of the way, hence why I have largely battled this alone. Hence, why I’m scared to publicly express how I feel. But I refused to be pushed to the sides.


The affirmation that I am not alone in how I feel, is more than enough to inspire me to continue to seek help, to continue to do better for myself and those around me. I don’t recognise that girl any more. I don’t recognise that ten-year-old who was ridiculed for being too sensitive, for being too much, who had the weight of the world on her shoulders. I don’t recognise that thirteen-year-old, whose mental health issues were dismissed as nothing more than “hormones,” who allowed herself to be taken advantage of and took her issues out on those around her. I’m so far removed from that eighteen-year-old, who swore this time would be different, who knew she had to grow up and who continued to be destructive and allow her self-doubt to ruin her mental health.

We need to listen to those around us. We need to recognise our own behaviours and take responsibility for our mental health. We need to stop dismissing symptoms of mental illness as typical behaviours and hormone imbalances. I have been fighting for most of my teenage and adult life to be taken seriously, and to get the support I desperately need. My mental health journey has been a rollercoaster, and it’s time I take responsibility for myself and work to better myself. It takes more than a positive mental attitude and self-care practices to get better, and although I still harbour resentment over how I’ve been treated over the years, I have forgiven myself and now I need to help myself too. 


BERET: TK MAXX
JUMPER: DAISY STREET
JEANS: TOPSHOP
BOOTS: PRIMARK
SUNGLASSES: H+M

Thank you for reading, and please, realise that you are never truly alone in your mental health battle. There is support, there is love and acceptance out there. Please, don’t put it off for as long as I have.

Until next time, 




You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. This is such an amazing post, it was great to read something that I can actually (sadly) relate to quite a lot. You sound like you’ve come so far and you can only improve from here ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love, I'm sorry you've been through similar experiences and can relate a little too much because I'd never wish it on anyone. But you're amazing, and thank you for your kindness x

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this! I love reading other peoples experiences and I feel the same I’ve been suffering with mental health for years now and I was constantly ignored and have been dismissed by the doctors. My mum was also in denial about a lot of things and I feel just ignored what was in front of her.

    I’m so happy you have decided to publish this post and I wish you all the best on your journey.

    Love P xx


    www.pixieox.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pixie, and I wish the same to you x

      Delete
  3. The only way is up! Such a lovely read being able to relate to it, but so well written x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a powerful post. It sucks that people just dismissed your problems as being those of a teenage girl at the time. Like nobody has the right to tell you that you are OK when you are not ok.
    Like I've seen around: it is OK not to be OK. I am glad that there have been people who've been supportive of you and i think you a sharing something really important with us here. We can draw lessons from that. I am sending you lots of love and compassion! You can do this.
    If you ever need a listening ear, I am offering it.
    lots of love,
    Rose - www.rainbowsdreamcloud.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Rose, this is exactly what I needed to hear x

      Delete
  5. This was an extremely brave thing for you to post so seriously, I take my hat off to you. Thank you for sharing your story and well done for getting yourself through it. A huge part of it is forgiving yourself for how you've acted in the past as I think that affects people massively in the recovery process too. Sending you lots of love and luck with your journey!
    Alice Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so hard to read knowing your symptoms were dissmissed when you were younger! You should be proud of yourself for posting this and raising awareness, speaking out is the first step to getting help! I hope you get all the help you need and get through this - I’m sure you will! Sending you lots of love and support!
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great that you're opening up and sharing your experiences especially with it being mental health awareness week. Thank you for sharing.

    Louisa | Loubee Lou Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! This is such a great post. It's very common for people to dismiss mental health issues as something more casual issues. And sometimes that maybe the reality, since we all get sad and we all get anxious. But it's very important that we acknowledge when something's really wrong, and mostly people can differentiate what's normal and what's not, just like you were able to differentiate, even at a very young age. It's important that we speak up openly, and that we understand people who have problems.

    Thank you for sharing this awesome post.

    xo,
    Quirky

    ReplyDelete