WHAT TO PACK FOR A CITY BREAK

July 29, 2018

City breaks are great. (Great introduction Rachel, might as well conclude this post here and now!) They allow you to explore a city without becoming too familiar, to try new things and experience exciting, one of a kind locations, without taking them from granted like a two-week sunshine break to an all-inclusive hotel in the Mediterranean. Packing however, is not as much fun as the actual travelling part. I'm notorious for over-packing, the living embodiment of that classic Fiat 500 tweet about bringing approximately 75 spare pairs of knickers and my entire makeup collection - y'know, just in case. So when we collectively decided as a group that we would head to Berlin for four days with only hand luggage at our disposal, I was more than a little bit nervous. What would I bring? What did I need to bring? Would I run out of outfits? Instead of panicking, I put my practical head on and managed to narrow down my life into a small tote bag. Here's what I packed for my city break!



LIGHT OUTFITS
For a summer break, light dresses, skirts and tops are easily accessible on the high street. Although I brought seven outfits for four days, I managed to fit everything into my bag because it was easily folded and easily layered. Avoid trousers and jeans because they'll take up more space, white clothes are also an essential because they reflect heat and help you stay cool in the hotter weather. As for those of you who prefer fall weather and cosy outfits, it can be harder to save space with woollen  clothes and heavy fabrics. Pack two outfits that you can easily layer together and mix  / match together.

PLUG ADAPTORS
Sure, you can buy plug adaptors in the airport before you head off on your holidays; but they cost a fortune. Save your pennies and ask everyone around you for spare adaptors, because you don't want to be caught short without your phone in case of an emergency!

SOLID COSMETICS
Bringing liquids in hand luggage is always risky, especially when you're trying to maintain a 12 step skincare routine whilst on holiday. Luckily, certain cosmetics companies are now branching out into solid cosmetics, including LUSH, Bomb Cosmetics and Solidu, with everything from shampoos and shower gels, to toothpaste and cleansers! No liquids means no spillage, which keeps everything safe and easy to transport. 



SPARE BAG AND SHOES
If you're bringing a full backpack with you, packing a smaller handbag to carry your essentials in when exploring is a must. Capital cities are notorious for pickpockets, so keeping something small and easily monitored on you at all times can stop you running into too much trouble. A folded tote bag for shopping and picking up knick-knacks can be useful too, as long as you have enough room to take it home with you without incurring extra charges! I managed to explore Berlin in a pair of sandals without injury, which is pretty impressive considering how much walking was involved! A pair of trainers and a cute pair of shoes to transition from day to night will save you bringing copious pairs of shoes that you probably won't wear. 

EMERGENCY PERIOD KIT
There's nothing worse than trying to chart your period only to miscalculate and end up spending the last couple of days in agony. I carry an emergency period kit around with me anyway, with spare granny pants, a few pads, some paracetamol and little plastic bags in case a sanitary bin isn't readily available, all in a small cosmetics pouch. Because no matter how well you think you've timed it, periods are tricky little buggers who can show up at the drop of a hat. 

IF IT'S NOT AN ESSENTIAL, DON'T WASTE SPACE
Sometimes the temptation to pack your entire life away for a matter of days can prove all too much, but always keep these questions in mind; will I wear this dress I haven't looked at for three years? Do I need to bring every eyeshadow palette I own when I probably won't wear any makeup? If the answer is "probably not", then leave it behind! Don't waste space with non-essentials, when you'll probably come home with souvenirs galore.


Where would you love to go on a city break? What essentials do you always bring with you? A lot of you have been asking, so I have some cute Berlin posts planned for the coming week - stay tuned for some travel content and more! Thanks for reading.

Until next time, 




You Might Also Like

0 comments