10 OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE MOVIES

July 19, 2015

Hey everyone I hope you're all well! To be honest, I've been stewing over what to post for the last few days, so I apologise for the delay.

My next post was all set to be a review of the 2013 documentary Blackfish, however after a lot of my own research (in my copious attempts to be informed about what I was going to say, seriously I had pages written down about this) I decided against that idea. The controversy surrounding the documentary/ film has sparked many a debate online and honestly I just don't have the energy to go as in-depth as I would like to on the subject, especially when my head has just not been in the right place to speak as openly and eloquently as I know I can. 

Instead, a small segment on the film will be included here along with many of my other favourite films! Many of these films have impacted my thoughts and stayed with me throughout my life. WARNING; expect lots of animation and maybe a few films you have never seen nor heard of. I hope you enjoy!

1. Donnie Darko (2001)


Without a shadow of a doubt, this cult classic, science fiction is my favourite movie. It depicts the story of the eponymous Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllennhaal), as he tries to figure out the meaning behind his "visions", some of which involve the mysterious Frank instructing Donnie to undertake destructive tasks, and some of which tell Donnie of the forthcoming Doomsday, which will occur in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 12 seconds. 

The film combines just the right amount of humour, tragedy, scares and shocks, accompanied by a kick-ass soundtrack, to make this psychological film my favourite film. Admittedly, certainly in more of the scientific scenes I got a little lost and it will probably take more than one watch to grasp the ending and it's clever build-up. Despite this, Donnie Darko is an incredible piece of film genius, and certainly one that I could ( and have) watched time and time again. 

2. Girl, Interrupted (1999)


Based on the memoirs of Susanna Kaysen, outlining her stay in a mental institution, Girl, Interrupted stars two of my favourite actresses Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie alongside a wonderfully put together supporting cast including Brittany Murphy and Whoopi Goldberg. 
To me, the most exciting element of the film is the dynamic and altogether toxic relationship between Susanna (Ryder) and Lisa (Jolie), and despite Jolie winning the most praise for her role in the film, in my opinion both actresses play definitive parts. Susanna's struggle within and against her mind and fight for her independence spoke to me in a way I had never experienced, and Lisa's total disregard for order and her manipulation, exploitation and compassion for those around her both disgusted and engaged me in equal measures. 

The film is frank and open about mental illness and in some scenes that does make for distressing viewing (and I have a mighty strong stomach). But all in all, Girl, Interrupted is a classic film for me and will continue to stick with me for days after I watch.  

3. Big Hero Six (2014) 



The first of many animated films that will appear on this list, and a more recent favourite, Big Hero Six is the feel-good film that will truly make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. Inspired by the Marvel superhero team of the same name, the film tells the story of Hiro Hamada, a child robotics genius, who forms a superhero gang alongside his brother's creation Baymax, the Personal Healthcare Companion. Baymax is designed to be a kind of giant, marshmallow nurse, who takes care of those who are sick and injured until they are "satisfied with their care." However, as Hiro and Baymax become involved with a mysterious, masked criminal, the two transform themselves into crime-fighting superheros, accompanied by the other members of the troupe, Wasabi, Honey Lemon, GoGo and Fred, coming together to form Big Hero Six. 

This film had me in both tears of laughter and sadness at various parts of the movie, with the right balance of fun, fighting, comedy, heart-warming and heart-breaking moments. The animation in itself blew me away, and the storyline captured my heart and still hasn't quite let it go. Everyone should either aspire to have a Baymax in their life or to carry the essence of Baymax within themselves and I can certainly say that he made me try to have a more caring and positive outlook on life. 

4. To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)



We all know how the saying goes, "The film is never as good as the book", or something to that effect. But in this case, I'm afraid I will have to firmly disagree with the above statement in all varying forms. This adaption of Harper Lee's classic novel (and my favourite novel), with Gregory Peck's Oscar-winning performance as literary hero lawyer, Atticus Finch, does the book justice in every sense of the word. 

The film translates the novel's tale of Tom Robinson, a black man accused of rape against a white teenage girl in 1930s Alabama, and Atticus' attempts to prove his client's innocence beautifully. The accompanying story of the Finch children Scout and Jem in their quest to make the reclusive and elusive Boo Radley "come out", showcases the innocence, and ignorance of a childhood that is made oblivious to the true ugliness within the small town of Maycomb. Peck's portayal of Atticus, a man who has tried his best to raise his children and shelter them from the hatred that lies deep within the hearts of some of the town's residents, is truly incredible. 

The moral teachings that I gained from both the film and book have been invaluable to me as I've continued to grow through life, hence why I believe this is a film and book that all teenagers should experience once in their life. 

5. Help! I'm a Fish (2000)

Now, we all had that one movie we watched practically every day of our childhood. Well, Help! I'm a Fish was just one of mine, and one that I have never lost my love for. The soundtrack has stayed with me for my entire life and Alan Rickman makes this film incredible. The animation is a little strange and definitely doesn't adhere to the typical happy, colourful Disney audience, but the story (although very impractical and totally ludicrous but this is animation people) is truly heart-warming with some good laughs in between.

6. The Shining (1980)

As someone who has never read the book, I approach this from one side, mainly as a huge fan of the incredible Jack Nicholson (but I have heard that the book is much better although I can't speak personally about that). Without a doubt, Nicholson is one of my favourite actors, and it would be unwise of me to neglect one of his many masterpieces from this list and in a toss up between The Shining, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Batman, The Shining won. 
Bizarre is the main word I would use to describe this film. The story is brilliant, and there is no better actor that could convey to slow-burning insanity of Jack Torrance than Jack Nicholson. Some of the more infamous scenes are so bizarre I find them unwatchable on occasions, but on the whole this is one film that I can sit down and watch again and again.  

7. Blackfish (2013)

Undoubtedly, this film / documentary has made more of an impact on my life than any other, and I will write this from a neutral standpoint and put my emotions and feelings to one side. 
Blackfish documents the story of Seaworld's most infamous killer whale Tilikum who has been involved with the deaths of three people. It also showcases other attacks by captive whales on keepers and raises the question of, is it right that these animals are kept in tanks and trained to put on shows for our entertainment?
The controversy surrounding this documentary has been incredible, with arguments from both sides, dismissing each others claims, and various attempts to debunk the issues raised in this film. I would highly recommend that everyone takes the time to watch this, and draw your own conclusion, as this documentary will make you think and feel on issues you might have otherwise spared a thought to.

8. The Fox and The Hound (1981)


In my opinion, The Fox and The Hound is one of the more underrated Disney films that is a classic in its own right. The film tells the story of the unlikeliest of friends, Todd (the fox) and Copper (the hound), friends from their childhood who attempt to maintain their friendship, despite their natural instincts to be enemies. 
This film will never fail to make my cry, no matter how many times I watch it. Despite it's light and fluffy beginning, the dark undertones slowly begin to emerge as the film progresses and the message of friendship becomes increasingly poignant. The Fox and the Hound will stay with me forever and will always have a piece of my childhood and heart. 

9. Pacific Rim (2013)

There is nothing I love watching more than a good disaster / monster movie and for me, Pacific Rim is the perfect combination of that. Guillermo del Toro's creation portrays an Earth that is being threatened by the Kaijus, huge monsters that have emerged from a portal at the bottom of the ocean. It is up to the Jaegers, huge robots piloted by humans, to combat these creatures to save humanity. 
The concept of this movie is an concoction that echoes elements of Neon Genesis Evangelion and Creature From The Black Lagoon, and successfully manages to avoid outright creating a romantic storyline between Raleigh (Charlie Hunman) and Mako (Rinko Kikuchi), instead focusing on their connection as companions that pilot together in their attempt to save the world. Idris Elba's performance is impeccable as ever, and all of these things pull together to make this film one of my favourites. 

10. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Now, I am not a fan of superhero movies by any stretch of the imagination. At a push, I would name Batman as my favourite superhero and call it a day. However, when I went to see GOTG in the cinema last year (only because of my great love of wrestling and Dave Bautista), I was blown away.
This all star cast comes together to create a chemistry that I've never seen before. Chris Pratt in the lead role made me laugh more than I had ever before at a film, the relationship between Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Groot (Vin Diesel) is full of calamities and compassion for one another, Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillan are the type of kick-ass females that I like my films to be full of, and I have no words to describe how wrong I was about Bautista as an actor. I entered the cinema with low expectations and I left firmly put in my place, quoting the script for days and listening to the amazing soundtrack on repeat continuously to this day.
Guardians was a film that in completely exceeding my expectations, became one of my firm favourites, well deserving of the final place on my list.

I hope you enjoyed finding out a bit more about me through this list and find something to watch the next time you find yourself bored and looking for something to watch. I promise I will get started on posting regularly, with my next post coming on Wednesday, where I will be showcasing some of my favourite outfits that I can't stop wearing! 

Sending you all lots of positivity and love xx

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Blackfish is such a deep and wonderful movie! I informed mayself on the theme for months, because I am really interested in animal rescue!
    Love your blog!
    (Hannah aka pale.moonrise ;) )

    ReplyDelete