CURRENT LOOKS: TIMELESS FASHION

August 22, 2015

Hello everyone! I hope you have all been well and happy. For today's blog post I wanted to show you some of my most recent purchases in a vintage yet modern style that is easily imitable with similar items you may have in your wardrobe. I apologise in advance for my more than slightly awkward posing and posture, I'm still trying to figure out how to work my body and play to the camera. But regardless of that, I hope you will all enjoy.

LOOK 1



Dress: American Apparel
Shoes: New Look

This dress is undoubtedly the most expensive thing I have ever purchased in my life, so when putting it together in an outfit I really wanted it to be the main focus, which isn't exactly difficult thanks to the bright print. The difficulty with it is, where do I wear it??

The material maintains just the right balance of stretch and cling and extremely comfortable. I do adore the print of the dress and there is a small slit at the back which made me feel really glamourous. I paired it with these New Look wedges to give it a kind of 60s holiday vibe. All that was missing was a huge sunhat! 

I did my make up as usual with a simple eyeliner flick and my lip colour is Beestung from Topshop! My hair maintains a kind of natural wave so I backcombed it slightly then pulled it back to one side. Ideally, if I had the skill and equipment I would have liked to create barrel style curls (think of Lana Del Rey, Dita von Teese) to finish the look off!


LOOK 2


Dress: Forever 21
Shoes: eBay

Another recent purchase, I was quite unsure of what to do with this dress. The boat neck, off the shoulder, semi-sheer design is quite tricky to wear as it is, so to style it was a bit of a challenge to piece together. Originally I was thinking of a kind of fun, plain style however, this look to me gives off a lot more of a 70s-ish vibe with a hint of Daphne from Scooby Doo. I decided to run with that theme by adding a scarf (the origins of which I am oblivious to) to style my hair and give the outfit a bit of edge with these spike-heeled platforms. 

Overall, the dress is comfortable although it clings to every inch of your body (which can be an issue for some) and the fit of the neckline is a bit of a pain to constantly readjust, so perhaps adding a simple cardigan or jacket and a pair of tights to this look would make it a bit more day time appropriate!


LOOK 3:


Dress: Charity shop (originally Primark)
Shoes: Asda

I've been playing a lot of Fallout recently and getting really into the 1930s-50s aesthetic and when I saw this dress in a local charity shop I just couldn't resist. The pattern of the dress is gorgeous, the material is kind of silky which may be uncomfortable for some but it gives a really nice structure to the dress. The top as to be expected is more fitted than the skirt which is very flowey and a lot of fun to twirl around in! 

To fit in with the silhouette of the time, I added a little belt I had lying around to cinch in my waist.  My hair is a rather messy, scruffy take on a classic style and again if I possessed the necessary hair skills I could have made the look more refined. 


My favourite thing about this outfit is that it cost under £10 altogether, which is exactly what I would call a fashionable find!

I had a lot of fun putting these outfits together and if I had to pick a favourite in terms of how I felt in them (and how I think I looked) I would have to pick number three. With regards to styling number two wins and for my favourite dress I would pick number one. In short, I love all of these looks! Vintage style is something I've always had a great appreciation for and I really enjoyed putting my own twist on what I interpret to be three classic looks that have survived the decades to be revived in a modern way.

I hope you've all enjoyed getting to take another look inside of my fashion mind and will be inspired to try out similar looks yourselves. I have quite a few reviews coming up soon and hopefully inbetween I'll be giving more tips and glances into my life, personality, style and thoughts. I hope you will stay with me throughout it all.

Sending you lots of love and positivity, 
Rachel x

You Might Also Like

1 comments