WHY I'LL NEVER PURCHASE DROP FOUNDATION AGAIN!

September 14, 2017

Drop beauty products have surged in popularity lately, from GOSH'S liquid highlighters to M.A.C''s infamous foundation - these products are everywhere. When NYX released their "Total Control Drop Foundation" line, I had just, coincidentally, ran out of their "Stay Matte Not Flat" foundation. I had a love / hate relationship with that particular choice, so after hearing rave reviews, and being a huge fan of the brand in general, I decided to invest in their newest venture. However, as I near the end of my bottle, I've been left less than satisfied with the "drop" product trend, and I definitely won't be repurchasing this particular product when I finally run out. Here's why!


Okay, so before I come across like a total traitor towards my favourite beauty brand, I have to admit, it's not all bad. This foundation is probably the closest I've ever come to finding a perfect match for my skin colour, and I appreciate that. Sadly, that's where the good points end. 

I decided to go for this foundation over my previous one, because my skin has undergone a bit of a transformation recently. This time last year, Stay Matte not Flat was perfect for my oily skin, and it left my skin feeling matte without adding texture and emphasising my dry patches. However, as my dry patches began to spread over the rest of my face, and total change my skin type, my face and foundation were no longer compatible. We had to part ways. The Total Control Drop Foundation however, is lighter and more water-based. "Perfect!" I thought, "Just what I need to combat my dry, flaky skin." But that's where the problems began.



The idea behind the dropper, is that you can control how much you want and the type of coverage you prefer. One for light, two for medium and three or over for full. In theory, a great idea, however in practice this philosophy isn't so successful. I found that simply three drops wasn't even enough to cover one half of my face let alone provide a full coverage for all of my mug, and as someone who has a cacophony of skin issues, I need as much coverage as I can get. Therefore, I needed to use more foundation, and thus I've found myself going through this foundation at a pace I can't keep up with. The amount in the picture above is what I usually use to cover my entire face. TWO MONTHS after purchasing it, I'm almost finished my bottle, whereas my previous foundation lasted a good six months before I needed more.



NYX are cheap, but they aren't that cheap. Normally I don't mind spending a little bit more of NYX's products, and I'm never usually disappointed with the quality. However, at £14 I would expect this product to last that little bit longer. Whilst it does leave my skin feeling great, and it lasts all day on my skin, I wish the formula could be tweaked just a little so I'm not left using a whole lot of product on my face. I'm considering splashing out on either Kat von D's Lock It or Make Up For Ever's Water Blend foundation instead of repurchasing this one and having to buy another in two months time. 



It's safe to say, I'm not a fan of this whole drop foundation trend. I would love to try some of the illuminators and highlighter's that have cropped up recently, but after being so disappointed by this product, I might give it a miss. What do you think? Are you a fan of the trend? Have you tried any of the products yourself? 


I hope you enjoyed reading! Until next time, 

Rachel x

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Ive heard so much of the same problems with this foundation,that three drops isnt enough coverage! I know it defo won't be enough for my scarred face! I think ill have to stick to my double wear for now!
    Eleanor x
    Www.littlethoughtsfromlittlepeople.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three drops are definitely not enough! I really wanted to love it but I just couldn't bring myself to x

      Delete
  2. That's definitely not enough product, I'd run out of it so fast because I like a really good coverage as well. My trusty Revlon Colorstay has never let me down but I also wanna try out Rimmel's newest 'breathable' foundation to see if that's any good. I usually love Nyx so it's a shame this product is a let down - I'm obsessed with their eyeshadows and coloured liners! x

    Alice www.accordingtoalicex.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their shadows and liners are fantastic, so I was pretty let down by this product! x

      Delete