PHOTO SERIES: LIVING BY THE COAST

September 16, 2017

I'm a fire sign, but I've always been a water baby at heart and one of my biggest ambitions in life has been to live by the sea. My dream has finally been realised, and it's been two weeks since my boyfriend and I moved into our seaside apartment. We're surrounded by such astounding natural beauty, and the sea is 200 metres down the road - it's basically our back garden! Naturally, I grabbed my camera, snapped some pictures and today I want to share with you some photos of the beautiful landscape, and how I've been settling into my new life by the ocean.





I'm very close with my immediate family, and there isn't a day goes by where I'm not messaging my younger brother and asking him questions, showing him a funny picture I found, or just checking in and making sure he's okay. I'm a big homebody, so as much as I enjoy having my own independence and personal space, deep down I really miss my family when I'm away, hence why I come home every weekend. Honestly, I feel a little guilty about leaving him behind to go gallivanting and live my best life, when I know at this stage of his life, he kind of needs me around sometimes.


My boyfriend has also started placement, whereas I haven't yet started university, so I've had a lot of alone time lately, and rather unfortunately, my anxiety hasn't been too manageable as a result. I think that's natural when you move out and into a new place and you haven't really got your bearings with the surrounding area. I've barely slept, and during the day I'm almost comatose lying on my sofa being warped into the world of daytime TV. Initially, I was looking forward to a little bit of time to myself, but I've gone from being alone to being lonely, and that's something I've been really struggling with. That's where the coastal areas and the sea in particular have come into my self-care routine. 






When you're in a funk of fear, anxiety and unease, it can be hard to push outside of your comfort zone and force yourself to get outside. I very rarely venture outside unless it's absolutely necessary, but when you live near stunning locations like this, how can you resist the urge to explore?

Everything about the sea awakens a certain sense of serendipity and serenity within my soul; the fresh, salted tinge to the air, the cool sprays of water on your cheeks and that little cold shiver as you adjust to the air. The coast is so rugged and rough, yet the rich greenery that Northern Ireland is famed for gives the landscape a slightly whimsical touch. I feel more calm and at ease looking out at this view than I have ever felt anywhere else in my life.




One disadvantage to the beauty of the area, is the weather it brings with it. As we venture deeper into the season, the weather is definitely taking a turn, and try as I might, I haven't yet been able to get any outfit photos. It's been stormy, windy, grey and grim, but strangely? That's the kind of weather that makes me feel good. The tide rises, swells and brings a sense of chaos that makes me feel exhilarated. Even when I feel upset, and I hide myself inside for days, I can still open the window and listen to the roar of the waves crashing against the cliffs, and I feel the adrenaline start to flow through my body.



Once upon a time, one of my tutors told me that as a writer it's necessary to find your place. Somewhere that makes you feel content, inspired and alive inside. I've spent most of my life being uncomfortable in my skin and with my surroundings, and lacking the motivation to do something about it. I never thought I would be at a place in my life where, everything may not be hunky dory, and I may still need to work a little on my inner self, but I finally feel at home by the coast. 

This post was a little more rambling than I intended it to be, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless.

Thank you for reading, until next time,

Rachel 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I'm so glad you've found your place, the way you've described it just sounds amazing. I'd love it in bad weather too, I actually prefer it to the sun although not ideal for outfit photos haha. It looks stunning and the perfect place for thoughts x

    Alice www.accordingtoalicex.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's exactly how I feel! bad weather definitely throws a spanner in the works when it comes to my blogging schedule. Thank you Alice! x

      Delete
  2. Oh wow I'm so jealous! You're so incredibly lucky that you get to live your dream of living by the ocean, and so beautifully written, too.

    Kimberley
    www.kimberleylane.co.uk

    ReplyDelete