#TALKINGPERIODS: HOW TO RELIEVE CRAMPS AND PMS COPING TIPS

September 22, 2017

One thing I’m passionate about is being open and honest about my health and well-being, which is why I’m so excited to be a part of the #TalkingPeriods campaign.

Cramps and PMS are probably the worst part of having a period and they’re both side-effects that we’ve all experienced, be it a mild or a severe case. I’m definitely on the latter half of the spectrum, so today I’m going to be sharing with you all my cramp-relieving and PMS coping tips!



I’ve been on the pill since I was 13, as I started my period at quite a young age, and heavy, horrible periods run in my family. I needed something that was going to relieve pain in the long run, so needless to say, it’s my main source of pain relief. However, that doesn’t mean that’s the only coping mechanism I use when my time of the month strikes.

I can’t go without my daily cup of tea, however I’ve found that anything containing dairy makes my cramps ten times worse, so I’ve adapted to drinking black tea to get my caffeine fix and help relieve the tension of period cramps. If that doesn’t sound like something for you however, peppermint tea and any kind of green tea is a great alternative. I’m not the biggest fan of green teas in general, but I do find that peppermint tea makes me feel less bloated and “bleugh” when I’m on my period, and it doesn’t taste half bad either!

A warm, cuddly hot water bottle is my best friend when my cramps are particularly bad. Nothing makes me feel better than snuggling on the sofa under a cosy blanket, with some fresh PJ’s and a hot water bottle. Sometimes I get aches and pains in specific places, such as my lower back, so heat patches are always great to keep handy too. If times are particularly bad, it might be necessary to  also have a basin nearby – hey, we’ve all been there!

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve also turned to exercise to help with cramps and tension. I’m not talking about busting reps in the gym, just gentle circuits or cardio, whatever you feel capable of! Yoga and dancing are my favourite activities to do, but only after the initial aches of the first two days of coming onto my period have worn off. It helps me feel productive, and also improves my bad body image at that time of the month. But, if that’s not for you, there are other ways of relieving cramps and stress during your period. Any activity that’s going to distract you from the pain really helps, whether that involves getting outside and partying with your pals, or staying inside eating snacks and bingeing your favourite box set in bed. Everyone is different.

That coping mechanism also applies to PMS related stress too. My family and boyfriend can always sense when my period is due because my personality does a complete 180. Normally, I’m loud, bubbly and outgoing, but when my period is due I become irritable at the slightest thing, and I’m such a sensitive crybaby. The best advice I have for dealing with PMS is to pinpoint what upsets you or angers you. Finding that trigger allows you to rationalise your emotions and potentially avoid coming into contact with it in the future.

It’s also important to remember that it’s okay to wallow and mope – there’s no shame in it! It’s okay to cry, get angry and upset, as long as you find a coping mechanism that helps you feel better. Self-care and PMS go hand in hand, so don’t be afraid to cry and shout, but please ensure you find something that makes you feel better too, be it a long bubble bath or something artistic. PMS is a natural, albeit annoying, part of the period process, and it will pass. Trust me.

It’s been a pleasure sharing my cramp-relieving and PMS busting tips with you all. I hope you’ve found some of it useful and you feel ready for your next period. Thanks again to TOTM and #TalkingPeriods for allowing me to share my experiences!

Thanks for reading!

Rachel x

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Such lovely tips! I remember having cramps so bad they were equal to the pain of a good few hours of labour for me, just unbearable! They still hurt but are a lot better now I've had my son :D love your blog, following on GFC! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elzabeth! I'm glad everything got better for you in the end x

      Delete
  2. Such a fantastic post, Rachel! I definitely agree that periods are something that we should all speak openly and freely about, it's a perfectly natural thing after all! I'm sorry that you get such painful heavy periods, although it does sound like you've got some great coping strategies! A hot water bottle is essential for me too, as well as eating everything chocolatey that I can get my hands on haha! I definitely need to try exercising to relieve cramps, I usually just curl up in bed feeling sorry for myself haha!

    Abbey 💖 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abbey! I've definitely learnt how to cope better over the years but I'm not out of the woods yet under any circumstances. Hahaha I totally understand, I'm the same most of the time but there's always a part of me that nags at the other part to get up and do something! x

      Delete