HELP I'M ADDICTED TO FLORAL FASHION!

August 05, 2017

I know what you're probably thinking - "will she ever stop banging on about embroidery?" To answer your question, no, no I will not. If you follow me on Twitter / Insta you might just recognise the outfit I'm posting about today, because I've been sharing it pretty much everywhere. Embroidery and florals are shaping up to be as big this A/W as they have been over the last couple of seasons, and if you're an absolute embroidery fanatic, much like myself, those words will sound like music to your ears. Today, I'm going to share my current favourite outfit and how I'm planning to style it over the coming, colder seasons.


TOP: Topshop
SKIRT: Topshop

This outfit perfectly captures everything I believe my personal style is about - fun, chic and colourful, staying true to who I am as a person. The top itself is a little oversized, it's as long as the skirt itself! However, I am a huge fan of the baggy look, as long as it's paired with something tight at the waist because I don't want to appear any larger than I actually am. I also love a good statement tee, and anything that promotes plant-based positivity while also being a little ironic at the same time is a definite winner in my book.


The irony of course being that at 5"1, I'm only little it's not like I'm going to grow anymore! If I'm being honest, I used to absolutely hate statement t-shirts, favourite more elaborate designs over something that looks quite plain and divides opinion. However, slogan shirts don't seem to be going anywhere soon so I figured, why not just embrace something instead of letting it scare me. This shirt in particular is casual so it can be worn anywhere, anytime and I definitely need more clothes like that in my wardrobe. I plan to pair this tee with some mom jeans, and a yellow coat that I intend on featuring in an early autumn fashion post so keep an eye out for that!


However, the standout piece in this outfit is of course the skirt and I'm truly in love with it. I love a good mini skirt, and despite my reservations and insecurities, I embrace my legs as they are and I often end up wearing skirts more in the winter than any other time! The material is quite heavy and tight, but it doesn't leave me feeling stiff or unable to move, and it's definitely going to keep me warm come the winter. I have a couple of red jumpers that will pair well with the main stitches on the skirt, but as the darker weather rolls in, I think I'll stick to a more neutral colour palette to allow the colours to really pop!


One of the main reasons I adore embroidery is that I admire the craftsmanship that goes into creating such intricate and delicate pieces. Embroidery adds a special touch to what would otherwise be a plain, boring black mini-skirt and elevates it into a statement piece. It gives clothes a timeless, but kind of retro feel, and even if it went out of season tomorrow I'd still continue to wear it and feel like I'm putting together a really gorgeous outfit. This skirt is probably one of the standout pieces in my wardrobe right now, and it has pockets. Pockets!


I'm quite proud of how these pictures turned out, and again many thanks to my little brother for turning into a mini Nigel Barker and bringing out my inner model. Maybe one day I'll stop feeling so uncomfortable taking photos in public but until then hopefully these pictures will suffice!

I really enjoyed putting this post together, and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much I loved making it. What do you think of the whole embroidery trend? Are you a fan, or does the thought of it make you want to cringe?

Until next time,

Rachel 

You Might Also Like

0 comments