THE SOUNDTRACK TO MY YEAR // MY SPOTIFY PLAYLIST TURNS ONE!

August 17, 2017

I may be young, but I'm definitely a dinosaur when it comes to new technology. Can you believe I didn't have a Spotify account until this day last year?! I have always favoured my trusted iPod over any app, but the hassle of downloading, re-downloading and keeping songs on my laptop finally become too much for me to endure every time I wanted to add new music to my device. I caved in, downloaded Spotify, and I haven't looked back. I created a mass playlist with all of my favourite songs in one place, and since then I've added new music to it with ease - a mix of new, old favourites, heavy rock, R&B and everything in between. Its served me through holidays, living with seven other students, endless journeys to and from work, and I've never felt bored. Today I want to share my favourite songs with you - this is the soundtrack of my year!



GOLDEN SKANS - THE KLAXONS

Everyone knows this song from various adverts on children's TV shows, and it's a firm favourite of mine. Essential pre-party / sunny summer day music that will get a boogy out of even the shyest of friends.

ONE DAY LIKE THIS -ELBOW
I'm not a fan of Elbow in general, they're more my dad's type of music than mine. However, there is no denying that this is one of the most motivating, cheerful and uplifting songs ever composed. If I'm having an awful day, or I feel stressed about something, I play this and I instantly feel reassured.

BONFIRE - CHILDISH GAMBINO
This song reminds me of my beautiful friend Susie, who shares my love for Childish Gambino. In a stark contrast to Elbow, this is my go to angry song, I can't help but start rapping and shouting along. Which is a truly hilarious mental image if you think about it.

LITTLE LIES - FLEETWOOD MAC
We can all agree that Fleetwood Mac are all mystical deities that create the most beautiful songs known to man. This song is by far my favourite of theirs, and it makes me feel every emotion possible all at one time. The vocals are dreamy and the composition of ethereal notes and music match perfectly together.

YOUNG FOLKS - PETER BJORN AND JOHN
The song that is on every indie fan's playlist, and with bongo beats and an instantly recognisable whistle that anyone can imitate, it's clear to see why this song is a favourite of mine. Another tune that is perfect for those bright summer days as well as being highly motivational. Put this on in the background and you'll get through any chore twice as fast, I guarantee you.

PUMPKIN SOUP - KATE NASH
I don't know anyone who doesn't love a bit of Kate Nash. "Foundations" is one of the songs of the century, and as much as I love it, I have always preferred "Pumpkin Soup." Funky, catchy and playful, its one of those songs I have to dance to. I don't make the rules okay?

THE CHAIN - FLEETWOOD MAC

Fleetwood Mac are definitely one of my favourite bands, so I have to include another song from them. I would apologise, but I'm not that sorry about it. This songs started playing in the cinema whilst I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't start screaming a little inside. Known for its iconic breakdown that has been used as the F1 anthem since the beginning of time itself, this song is an absolute tune and a half. If I ever auditioned for any TV singing competition (if I could sing / had any talent) this would be my audition song.

EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD - TEARS FOR FEARS

Most of music taste has been heavily influenced by my father, so I grew up listening to lots of 80s mod and rock music. Tears for Fears are one of my favourite bands, and what I love about their music is how no matter the subject, every song is upbeat and happy. If you listen to the lyrics of this song too closely, you might end up feeling a little disheartened and upset, however the dance style of music makes you forget about the negative subtext.

THINKIN OF YOU - MABEL

I don't listen to the radio that frequently, but when I do I happen to come across some gems like this song. Mabel's dreamy voice over subtle r&b beats make for such a chilled out, laid-back song.

CLOUDBUSTING - KATE BUSH
I am not a fan of this 2017 trend of dance / house artists covering classic 90s songs. While I am grateful to hear the love of my life Kate Bush on the radio, nothing will top this classic song. No matter how down I feel, I can play this and instantly feel inspired and uplifted again. It makes me feel like carrying on with life, when everything else is telling me to give up.

ASHES TO ASHES - DAVID BOWIE
It was really tough to pick just one Bowie song for this playlist, but I'm very happy with my choice. This song makes me feel like I'm sitting on the edge of another planet, looking down at everyone on earth, yes it is just that good. Its funky, bizarre and totally Bowie.

SWEAR JAR (AGAIN) - MILK TEETH
When I was a young emo, I used to eagerly watch the music channels 24/7, and my father and I still partake in that activity every Saturday. I love nothing more than discovering new music and heard the end of this song on one of the channels, and desperately spent the next who knows how long searching for it. Since then its been a firm favourite on my playlist. A great one to listen to on a cool, late Autumn morning.

VENUS FLY - GRIMES FT JANELLE MONAE
Advertising is a powerful thing, and although I may not own Stella McCartney's perfume, I have been able to put a truly wonderful song on my playlist. I adore Grimes, who makes original music like no other artist out there. This is one of my favourites, because it makes no sense, but at the same time describes perfectly what it's like to be a young woman in today's society.

HOW SOON IS NOW - THE SMITHS
We all know and love Charmed, and it's iconic theme song is just one of the reasons people still love it years later. I hadn't heard the full version in years, suddenly Panic!'s cover of the song comes onto my 8tracks shuffle. I instantly fell in love, the music and lyrics sent me into a somewhat trance. I'm not a fan of The Smiths for many reasons, however, if there were ever a movie to be made of my life, this is a song I want to play during my death sequence. 

IF I RULED THE WORLD - NAS FT LAURYN HILL
I can't remember how I found this song, but I'm glad I did. It's beautiful, emotional and particularly important given the current political and social climate. If you've never heard it before, I would thoroughly recommend it. It will make you cry, I promise.

COOL GIRL - TOVE LO
At the risk of sounding like one of those people, I don't listen to a lot of modern pop music. Well, that's a lie, I do and I enjoy it, but there aren't a lot of songs out there right now that I would put on my every day music playlist. But this song is an exception. I love Tove Lo's voice, the electronic influences in the song and just how fun and fresh it is. 

BULLET WITH BUTTERFLY WINGS - THE SMASHING PUMPKINS
Do you ever truly grow out of your emo phase? Although I have introduced a pop of colour into my wardrobe, and stopped excessively straightening the life out of my poor hair, the music that influenced my young teenage years has stayed with me to this day. This is one of those songs that makes me feel nostalgic, angry, excited and hyped up simultaneously.

VELCRO - JERRY WILLIAMS
The music they play in my uni's SU is usually complete and utter piss (I'm looking at you Bob the Builder theme!) However, sometimes the occasional gem will pop up on screen and this song appeared on one of those occasions. Its beautiful yet vastly underrated and deserves your full and undivided attention, okay?

PASSIONFRUIT - DRAKE
Drake is one of my non-guilty pleasures when it comes to music, and this is a song I can chill to, party to and do anything to. The perfect every day anthem, even if my boyfriend does change the station if it comes on the radio.

WHEN THE WORLD WAS AT WAR WE KEPT DANCING - LANA DEL REY
Of course no list of mine would be complete without a song from my favourite artist, and weeks after her latest release, I am still obsessed with this song. Another song I consider particularly apt to have on my every day playlist, given the uncertain times we're currently living in.

And, there you have it! One this day one year ago, I created a playlist of songs to listen to every day, adding new music to it every so often and re-discovering forgotten gems from yesteryear. Hopefully you've found some new songs to listen to, and some old favourites to revisit and add to your playlists!

I hope you've enjoyed reading. Until next time,

Rachel

You Might Also Like

0 comments